Almost Ready Blogs

Monday, October 19, 2009

Book Report

I am a book junkie, a word nerd, a bibliophile - Big Poppa calls me an addict, but I can stop at any time, it's just a social thing.... Alright, between you and me I am an ADDICT. When Sissy was first diagnosed as having a corn allergy I went looking for books. I found a few that were very helpful so I want to share them with you. Please know I am not getting paid to endorse these books, I just found them really helpful. They now take a prominent place on my overrun bookshelves - having been run over with high-lighters, notes in the margins, dog ears and flags. I am hoping that some of the things I found helpful will help you as well.

1.) Food Allergies For Dummies

While I may not be the biggest fan of the name, the information provided is second to none. The book contains a tear out sheet with a food label crib sheet, symptom check list and reaction response plan. There are chapters on what to do when you are first faced with a diagnosis as well as how to live well with food allergies. There are helpful items for sending kids to school, camp and Nana's house. The last section is dedicated to "The Part of Tens"; which are top ten lists that are really helpful and very on topic.

2.) Food Allergy Field Guide : A Lifestyle Manual for Families

I really like this book because first of all it includes corn allergies, which can be hard to find, but also, there are a ton of recipes that I have had really good success with. It includes how to deal with family members that don't get it. We all have those family members who say, "Well in my day, there was no such thing as food allergies. These kids just don't want to finish their plate" - or some other such nonsense. That's why I appreciate a chapter subtitled, "Grandma's Not Trying to Kill you, She Just Doesn't Know".

3.) One Of The Gang: Nurturing the Souls of Children with Food Allergies

This is one to read to the little people in your lives who have food allergies. It's great. It contains help with the grief and sadness of it all as well as famous and successful people who also have food allergies.

 

Do you have books that you have found helpful? Please share!

0 comments: